Counseling in the Era of Equity: Critical Competencies for Student Success
Colleges exist to provide high quality educational experience to students. Counseling faculty are essential to the success of students on their academic and professional journey. In our efforts to create more equitable educational institutions it is imperative that we develop transformative counseling philosophies and practices.
Counseling in the Era of Equity is an immersive professional development experience that engages counselors in the process of examining our current practices and exploring innovative pedagogical approaches that can be applied to the needs and goals of colleges as they make the transitions to Meta Majors and Guided Pathways.
The Counseling in the Era of Equity experience will:
- Engage counselors in a process that shifts their approach from “fixing” students to empowering students.
- Expose Counselors to innovative and practical pedagogical approaches to counseling.
- Develop a transformative College Success course outline.
- Co-create a counseling structural and pedagogical framework applicable to Guided Pathways, Meta Majors, and special programs.
The program features:
- Keynote speakers, Dr. Angela Valenzuela and Dr. J Luke Wood.
- A facilitated panel of equity-driven community college practitioners
- Four two-hour topical sessions throughout the academy experience
- The sessions are facilitated and designed for teams to work collaboratively and engage in multimedia activities, exercises and discussions.
Session Topics and Framework
Session I: The College Counselor: From Traditional to Transformative
Session II: Counseling Pedagogies: Centering Our Approach Toward Student Success
Session III: Towards a Transformative Student Success Course & 1-on-1 Counseling
Session IV: Counseling in the Era of Meta Majors & Guided Pathways
- Deconstruct traditional educational models and frameworks
- Examine impact on student success and institutional culture
- Provide tools and strategies to implement transformative practices
Wednesday, February 19
|6:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m.||Pre-Academy Reception|
Thursday, February 20
|8:00 a.m. - 9:00 a.m.||Registration and Breakfast|
|8:45 a.m. - 9:45 a.m.||Opening Keynote Address, Dr. Angela Valenzuela|
|9:45 a.m. - 10:15 a.m.||The Equity Institute and the T3 Framework, Lasana O. Hotep|
|10:35 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.||Session One
The College Counselor: From Traditional to Transformative
|12:30 p.m. - 1:45 p.m.||Lunch|
|2:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.||Session Two
Counseling Pedagogies: Centering Our Approach Toward Student Success
Friday, February 21
|8:00 a.m. - 9:00 a.m.||Breakfast|
|9:00 a.m. - 11:00 a.m.||Session Three
Towards a Transformative Student Success Course & 1-on-1 Counseling
|11:15 a.m. - 12:45 p.m.||Lunch|
|1:00 p.m. - 3:00 p.m.||Session Four
Counseling in the Era of Meta Majors & Guided Pathways
|3:15 p.m. - 4:15 p.m.||Closing Keynote Address, Dr. J Luke Wood|
|4:15 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.||Closing Remarks, Lesana O. Hotep|