Cultivating Equity Minded Student Services Professionals
Colleges exist to provide high quality educational experience to students. Student Services professionals are essential to the success of students on their academic and professional journey given that Student Services facilitates the first point of engagement and provides on-going support for all students. In our efforts to create more equitable educational institutions, it is imperative that we develop innovative and transformative approaches to working with students and colleagues to advance equity and improve student success outcomes.
Cultivating Equity Minded Student Services Professionals an immersive professional development experience that engages participants in the process of examining current practices and developing practical tools and strategies to improve critical student support functions for students to matriculate and graduate on time.
In this academy, participants will:
- Exposed student services professionals to innovative and practical approaches that can be applied to Financial Aid, Admissions and Records, Outreach, and Student Life teams.
- Learn equity advancing and culturally responsive policies, programs and practices that enhance a student’s educational experience for success.
- Acquire skills to develop equity informed strategies and planning for Guided Pathways and College Redesign.
The program features:
- Keynote speakers, Dr. Angélica Garcia and Dr. Edward Bush.
- A facilitated panel of equity-driven community college practitioners
- Four two-hour topical sessions throughout the academy experience
- The sessions are facilitated and designed for teams to work collaboratively and engage in multimedia activities, exercises and discussions.
Session Topics and Framework
Session I: Role in Student Success
Session II: Student-Ready Customer Service
Session III: Transformative Student Engagement
Session IV: Embedding Student Services in the College Redesign
- Deconstruct traditional educational models and frameworks
- Examine impact on student success and institutional culture
- Provide tools and strategies to implement transformative practices
Tuesday, April 14
|6:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m.||Pre-Academy Reception|
Wednesday, April 15
|7:45 a.m. - 8:30 a.m.||Registration and Breakfast|
|8:30 a.m. - 8:45 a.m.||Welcome|
|8:45 a.m. - 9:45 a.m.||Opening Keynote Address, Dr. Sepehr Vakil|
|8:45 a.m. - 9:45 a.m.||The Equity Institute and the T3 Framework, Lasana O. Hotep|
|10:35 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.||Session One
Teaching the Student and the Content
|12:30 p.m. - 1:15 p.m.||Lunch|
|1:30 p.m. - 3:30 p.m.||Session Two
Transformative STEM Pedagogies
Thursday, April 16
|7:45 a.m. - 8:45 a.m.||Breakfast|
|9:00 a.m. - 11:00 a.m.||Session Three
Cultural Competencies for Student Success
|11:15 a.m. - 12:45 p.m.||Lunch|
|1:00 p.m. - 3:00 p.m.||Session Four
Becoming a Transformative STEM Educator
|3:15 p.m. - 4:15 p.m.||Closing Keynote Address, Dr. Roni Ellington|
|4:15 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.||Closing Remarks, Lasana O. Hotep|