Delivering Student-Ready STEM Education
Colleges exist to provide high quality educational experience to students. Instructional faculty are essential to the success of students on their academic and professional journey. In our efforts to create more equitable educational institutions it is imperative that we develop transformative counseling philosophies and practices.
Delivering Student-Ready STEM Education an immersive professional development experience that engages Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics faculty in the process of examining our current practices and exploring innovative pedagogical approaches that can be applied to the needs and goals of colleges as they seek to provide pathways and increase success for disproportionately impacted students.
In the Delivering Student-Ready STEM Education, participants will:
- Exposed to innovative and practical pedagogical approaches that can be applied to Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics classes.
- Learn culturally responsive pedagogical frameworks that can be applied to teaching, grant writing, and program development.
- Develop transformative projects/lessons that engage students.
The program features:
- Keynote speakers, Dr. Sepehr Vakil and Dr. Roni Ellington.
- Four two-hour topical sessions throughout the academy experience
- The sessions are facilitated and designed for teams to work collaboratively and engage in multimedia activities, exercises and discussions.
- Hosted Community Engagement
Session Topics and Framework
Session I: Teaching the Student and the Content
Session II: Transformative STEM Pedagogies
Session III: Cultural Competencies for Student Success
Session IV: Becoming a Transformative STEM Educator
- Deconstruct traditional educational models and frameworks
- Examine impact on student success and institutional culture
- Provide tools and strategies to implement transformative practices
Wednesday, October 7
|8:30 a.m. - 8:45 a.m.||Welcome|
|8:45 a.m. - 9:45 a.m.||Opening Keynote Address, Dr. Sepehr Vakil|
|8:45 a.m. - 9:45 a.m.||The Equity Institute and the T3 Framework, Katrina Pantig|
|10:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.||Session One
Teaching the Student and the Content
|12:30 p.m. - 1:15 p.m.||Lunch - Optional Community Engagement|
|1:30 p.m. - 3:30 p.m.||Session Two
Transformative STEM Pedagogies
Thursday, October 8
|9:00 a.m. - 11:00 a.m.||Session Three
Cultural Competencies for Student Success
|11:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.||Lunch|
|12:00 p.m. - 2:00 p.m.||Session Four
Becoming a Transformative STEM Educator
|2:15 p.m. - 3:15 p.m.||Closing Keynote Address, Dr. Roni Ellington|
|3:15 p.m. - 3:30 p.m.||Closing Remarks, Katrina Pantig|