The Anatomy of a Transformative Course: Critical Competencies for Student Success
Colleges exist to provide high quality educational experiences for students. The foundation of this instruction are the courses in which our students enroll, engage the material, grapple with challenges proposed by the instructor and are evaluated. In our efforts to create more equitable educational institutions, development of equity-centered courses is foundational.
This academy is open to all; however, the recommended audience for this academy are Vice Presidents of Instruction, Instructional Deans, Instructional Faculty, Faculty Chairs, Academic Senate Leadership, Professional Development Coordinators, and Instructional Division Staff Members.
- All institutions will register as “teams” and work collaboratively throughout the academy to develop the best solution for their institution.
- Your institution can send a team of up to 10 people.
- If you have any questions or would like additional information, contact Equity Institute.
The Anatomy of a Transformative Course: Critical Competencies for Student Success is an immersive professional development experience that engages educators in the process of examining current syllabi, interrogating the course outline, exploring pedagogical practices and rethinking grading. Participants will leave with the following:
- An equity-based syllabus and course outline
- Innovative and practical pedagogical approaches to instruction
- Tools to broaden your methods of evaluation/grading
- A data-informed approach toward the impact of equity-based practices in the classroom
The program features:
- Keynote speakers Dr. Pedro A. Noguera and Dr. Sonya Edouglass Horsford
- A facilitated panel of equity-driven community college practitioners
- Four two-hour topical sessions throughout the academy experience
- The sessions are facilitated and designed for teams to work collaboratively and engage in multimedia activities, exercises and discussions.
Session Topics and Framework
Session I: Towards a Transformative Syllabus
Session II: Lesson Planning for Student Success
Session III: Pedagogy: Teaching the Student & the Material
Session IV: Equity Centered Assessment and Grading
- Deconstruct traditional educational models and frameworks
- Examine impact on student success and institutional culture
- Provide tools and strategies to implement transformative practices
Wednesday, November 13
|6:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m.||Pre-Academy Reception|
Thursday, November 14
|8:00 a.m. - 8:45 a.m.||Registration and Breakfast|
|8:45 a.m. - 9:45 a.m.||Opening Keynote Address, Dr. Kevin Kumashiro|
|9:45 a.m. - 10:15 a.m.||The Equity Institute and the T3 Framework, Lasana O. Hotep|
|10:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.||Session One
Towards a Transformative Syllabus
|12:30 p.m. - 1:30 p.m.||Lunch|
|1:30 p.m. - 3:30 p.m.||Session Two
Lesson Planning for Student Success
Friday, November 15
|8:00 a.m. - 8:30 a.m.||Breakfast|
|9:00 a.m. - 11:00 a.m.||Session Three
Teaching the Student & the Material
|11:15 a.m. - 12:45 p.m.||Lunch and Plenary|
|1:00 p.m. - 3:00 p.m.||Session Four
Equity Centered Assessment and Grading
|3:15 p.m. - 4:15 p.m.||Closing Keynote Address|
|4:15 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.||Closing Remarks, Lasana O. Hotep|